The Suicide Squad, also known as Task Force X, is an anti-hero team of incarcerated supervillains and superheroes who act as deniable assets for the United States government, undertaking high-risk black ops missions in exchange for commuted prison sentences. The group operates out of the Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary, under the command of Amanda Waller.
During World War II, army riffraff of the United States Military Forces were assembled into a unit that was described as a "top-secret Ranger outfit" whose members were trained to tackle missions from which ordinary volunteers were not expected to return alive, as such the members of the unit were considered highly expendable and therefore nicknamed the "Suicide Squadron"; several such teams existed. After the war, the units were put under the umbrella organization of Task Force X and were expressly formed to fight monstrous menaces as a replacement for the Justice Society of America, whose members had mostly retired in the wake of unjust accusations during the McCarthy Era.
By modern time the Suicide Squad units are covert black ops strike teams working for the interests of the United States Government. The units are made up of superheroes who are serving out a favour and imprisoned supervillains who agree to serve as expendable agents performing extremely dangerous missions, which are officially denied by the US Government using the prisoners' participation as rationale to claim that the incidents are merely attacks by criminals.
- Players can be "recruited" into the Suicide Squad by Amanda Waller for cross-faction play, where Hero-aligned players are sorted into Villain-aligned player groups and visa versa if there are not enough players queued for certain event/quest or mission and PvP instances.
- Instances/quests/mission where cross-faction play is possible are tagged with a red cross-hair in the On Duty Menu.
- Players can opt out of cross-faction play altogether but selecting the option in the options menu.
- Players are "recruited" for Suicide Squad Training in the Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary where they will fight a member of the Suicide Squad in addition to penitentiary security.
- On mission as a member of the Suicide Squad, Major Force is sent by Amanda Waller to obtain samples from the Chemoid monsters that are roaming Bludhaven during the Bludhaven Alert.
- The Suicide Squad first appeared in Legends #3 (1987).
- The Squad's existence is top-secret, creating much tension within the group, and leading the Squad to be targeted (unsuccessfully) by the likes of Lois Lane and Batman (the latter was forced to back off from his investigation when Squad leader Amanda Waller threatened to use her considerable government resources to expose Batman's secret identity).
- Waller uses explosive chips injected into squad members skulls to keep them in line. She originally used explosive bracelets, however, the team members soon learned how to disable them.
|Affiliates||Amanda Waller - Bane - Black Adam - Captain Boomerang (George Harkness) - Captain Boomerang (Owen Mercer) - Captain Cold - Deadshot - Doctor Light - Duchess - Harley Quinn - Killer Frost - King Shark - Mirror Master - Oracle - Parasite - Penguin - Poison Ivy - Power Girl - Solomon Grundy - Speedy - Steel - Superboy - Vixen|
|Adversaries||Batman - Lois Lane|
|Other||Chemo - Vicki Vale|
|Bombshell Belle Reve's Poster|
|Apparel||Expert Marksman - Punchline|
|Belle Reve Federal Penitentiary|
|PvE||Suicide Squad Training|
|PvP||Belle Reve Sanitarium|
|Checkmate - United States of America - Justice League of America - Justice Society of America|