John Stewart is one of Earth's Green Lanterns as a respected member of the famed Green Lantern Corps, an intergalactic police force, serving also on its Honor Guard. Armed with his special power ring, Stewart is able to generate hard light constructs just by using his imagination. Fulfilling his oath as a Green Lantern, John has swore to fight for fairness and equality.
Born in Detroit, Michigan, most of John's life was marked by poverty and clashes with police. His mother was a community organizer, who tried to make things better, and inspired John to try and make the world a better place. Once he finished high school, John felt it was time to leave home and joined the U.S. Marine Corps. His mother didn't like it, fearing John would be contributing to the American military industrial complex, but John felt it was the only way to pay his way to college and that protest without action is not enough.
As a member of the USMC John excelled in full combat training and proved to be an exceptionally talented marksman. He did one tour of duty in the middle east and soon rose to Sergeant, before being deployed to a storm-stricken Gotham City to help evacuate civilian's taking refuge in Seaside Coliseum. The Coliseum's structural supports weren't built to withstand the storm's strong winds and the team found themselves in a tense confrontation with Anarky, who had been stirring up civil unrest among the evacuees.
With the brash actions of his commanding officer, Lieutenant Tasker, who was willing to kill American citizens, escalating the the situation, John was forced to break rank and was able to defuse the conflict and swayed the crowd. He eventually took back control from Anarky and managed to save the day by keeping the peace.
Tasker confronted John for insubordination, which disillusioned him to the Corps and resulted in a physical altercation. For laying hands on a superior officer John was court-martialed, but due to his heroics at the Coliseum he was given an honorable discharge.
Wanting to build a better world, when John returned stateside he moved to California to study architecture in San Diego. After earning his degree, John was hired right out of school to oversee a project for Ferris Air. However, what he did not know was that since John was very young, the Guardians of the Universe had been keeping an eye him, believing he could be an invaluable member of the corps. They sent a Manhunter to the Ferris Air facility to test his worth.
Without hesitation, John sprang into action to fight the Manhunter and his bravery earned him a Green Lantern Ring. He quickly mastered the power of the ring and understood the responsibility. John was then brought to Oa, where he met the Guardians face-to-face, who lauded him for his desire for peace and his willingness to fight for it. However, the Guardians feared that if he had cause, he would even challenge the Guardians and the vowed to never reveal to John that they were the ones who sent the Manhunter to Earth.
- John Stewart (Legends PvP)
- John Stewart (Metropolis City Hall)
- New players can select a pre-made character template inspired by John Stewart.
- John Stewart is a playable character for Legends PvP.
- During the battle between the Green Lantern Corps and the Sinestro Corps in Metropolis, the player will join with John Stewart to battle Sinestro.
- During the battle between the Green Lantern Corps and the Sinestro Corps in Metropolis, the player will join with Sinestro to battle John Stewart.
- John's original appearance in DC Universe Online received an texture update in Game Update 115.
- Green Lantern (John Stewart) first appeared in Green Lantern #87 (January 1972).
- John Stewart was the first African-American superhero to be created in the DC Universe.
- John Stewart's voice was provided by voice actor Ken Thomas, and now is provided by George Washington III
- John Stewart is the Green Lantern of Sector 2814.
- John Stewart is at heart a professional soldier, a man of duty. He takes his roles as a protector of Earth, a member of the Green Lantern Corps, and a founding member of the Justice League with the utmost seriousness.
- As an architect, John Stewart runs a private studio called Shining Light Architecture and is responsible for the design of the Hall of Justice and the current JLA Watchtower satellite.
- John Stewart is noted for being one of the few Green Lanterns who doesn't wear a mask.