Darkseid (pronounced "Darkside") is a powerful New God and the tyrannical ruler and supreme monarch of the planet Apokolips, a sadistic, personified, aggressive and merciless tyrant who has invaded and conquered multiple worlds throughout the entire Multiverse.
As the God of Tyranny in the mythology of the New Gods, Darkseid seeks to enslave all things to his will while endlessly searching the cosmos for the Anti-Life Equation.
Prince Uxas, the son of King Yuga Khan and Queen Heggra and the second in line to the throne of Apokolips, plotted to seize control over the planet from his older brother, Drax. When Drax attempted to claim the fabled Omega Force, Uxas murdered him and claimed its power for himself. His skin turned to stone, Uxas rechristened himself as Darkseid. At some point, he fell in love with an Apokoliptian scientist and sorceress named Suli, with whom he had a son, Kalibak. However, Heggra ordered Desaad to poison Suli out of the belief that she was corrupting her son.
Following Suli's death, Darkseid's heart grew even colder and his disdain for his mother intensified when she forced him to marry a woman named Tigra, with whom he had another son, Orion. Seeking vengeance against Heggra for killing the one he loved, Darkseid ordered Desaad to poison her so he could finally become the supreme monarch of Apokolips. Darkseid then tried to force Tigra to eliminate Orion, but the latter was ultimately traded with Highfather's son, Scott Free, as part of a peace treaty between the warring planets of Apokolips and New Genesis. This trade eventually became a setback for Darkseid, with Orion growing up to value and defend the ideals of New Genesis as a powerful champion in opposition to his father. The prophecy foretold that Darkseid would meet his final defeat at the hands of Orion in a cataclysmic battle in the fiery Armaghetto of Apokolips. Likewise, Darkseid and his training minion, Granny Goodness, were unable to break Scott Free's spirit after a long, torturous upbringing and Free ultimately managed to escape Apokolips, taking with him the mightiest of the Female Furies, Big Barda, as his wife. Free, now known as the superhero Mister Miracle, and Barda began living on Earth, and Darkseid used this "betrayal" as a pretext to declare the treaty with New Genesis abrogated so the planets could resume their conflict.
Seeing other deities as a threat, Darkseid invaded the island of Themyscira in order to discover the secret location of the Olympian deities, planning to overthrow the Olympians and steal their power. Refusing to aid Darkseid in his mad quest, the Amazons battled his Parademon troops, causing half of the Amazon population's death. Wonder Woman was able to gain her revenge against Darkseid for killing so many of her sisters by placing a portion of her own soul into Darkseid. This supposedly weakened the god's power as he lost a portion of his dark edge.
Darkseid's goal was to eliminate all free will from the universe and reshape it into his own image. To this end, he sought to unravel the mysterious Anti-Life Equation, which gives its user complete control over the thoughts and emotions of all living beings in the universe. Darkseid had tried on several other occasions to achieve dominance of the universe through other methods, most notably through his minion Glorious Godfrey, who could control people's minds with his voice. He had a special interest in Earth, as he believed humans possess collectively within their minds most, if not all, fragments of the Anti-Life Equation.
Darkseid intended to probe the minds of every human in order to piece together the Equation. This has caused him to clash with many superheroes of the DC Universe, most notably the Kryptonian Superman. Darkseid worked behind the scenes, using superpowered minions in his schemes to overthrow Earth, including working through Intergang, a crime syndicate which employs Apokoliptian technology and later morphed into a religious cult that worships Darkseid as the god of evil.
- Darkseid appears as a silhouette at the end of the Fatal Exams Alert.
- Darkseid's voice can be heard in the 2 player duo The Will of Darkseid.
- Darkseid had his physical debut in DC Universe Online in Episode 24. He is the final boss in the Darkseid's War Factory instance.
- Darkseid appears as an ally to battle Zeus at the end of Wonderverse: Fractured God Sphere.
- Creative Director Jens Andersen announced during the SOE LIVE event in 2013, that there will be a "DLC in the near future" featuring Darkseid.
- Darkseid first appeared in Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 (November 1970). He was created and written by legendary comic book artist Jack Kirby.
- Darkseid traded his son Orion for Mister Miracle in a peace effort between New Genesis and Apokolips.
- Some people say Darkseid doesn't fly, but hover, since he's rarely seen in a flying pose.
- Darkseid is interested in humanity because humans were one of the few species that possessed the Anti-Life Equation in their collective consciousness. He is especially interested in finding the few rare humans who possessed the entire Equation in their minds.
- Darkseid is a part of the "New Gods" comic book series back in the 70's and one of Superman's toughest foes.
- As a New God, Darkseid is among the most powerful beings in the DC Universe. His most well-known and utilised ability derives from the Omega Effect, which allows him to blast Omega Beams from his eyes. Omega Beams are an intense form of heated energy that can either act as a concussive force to subdue an opponent or as a disintegrating agent capable of eradicating organisms or objects from existence. Some super-powered beings, such as Superman and Doomsday, have proven resistant to the Beams, although in the case of Superman, with a great deal of pain.
- Also, Orion and Wonder Woman were able to deflect them, Firestorm once used his powers to redirect them and in a crossover story, Galactus was unaffected by them. These beams stem from a cosmic energy source called the "Omega Effect". The Omega Beams can also resurrect fallen beings previously killed by them.
- Darkseid's strength is depicted as immensely high, effortlessly breaking a Green Lantern Ring with his bare hands. He has easily overpowered two Kryptonians at once, and the entire Justice League. He can also move with great speed, as he has been able to catch Superman off guard, and he is known to be able to react in nanoseconds.
- Even without Darkseid's full power and strength, he is still able to hold his own against an Olympian God such as Zeus. He can also increase his physical size. Darkseid also has additional powers of telepathy and telekinesis, and he can create psionic avatars. While Darkseid is a deity and immortal, having lived for several hundred thousand years, he is not invincible and has been killed on several occasions.