The city was founded in the 19th century and became an important stop for cattle drives. It began to see tremendous growth after the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, becoming the first major hub west of Chicago. A second period of growth occurred after World War I, and it has burgeoned to the present day. Among the city's most recognized locations The Flash has enjoyed tremendous popularity among the city's inhabitants, who honored their hero with a Flash Appreciation Day and the dedication of the Flash museum depicting his exploits. Highway signs proudly proclaim the city's status as "Home of The Flash".
Only players who have purchased the Lightning Strikes DLC or have Legendary status and have a Combat Rating of 53 or higher can enter the city through a teleporter in the southeast corner of the Hangar (Watchtower), beneath the Tech Wing (heroes).
Unknown assailants have been traveling back in time in an attempt to change events in the past, resulting in tears in the timeline barriers and exposure of the Speed Force at various points in the city. Paradox Reapers have also begun to appear to destroy the current timeline.
Central City and its sister-city are known as the "Twin Cities" due to their proximity to each other; separated only by a river that runs between them. Citizens are fond of describing the city as; "New York may be the city that never sleeps, but Central City is the city always on the run.”
The city was originally founded in the 19th century and became an important stop for cattle drives. It began to see tremendous growth after the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad, becoming the first major hubs west of Chicago.
A second period of growth occurred after World War I, and it has burgeoned to the present day.
- Central City first appeared in Showcase #4 (September-October 1956)
- Up to 50 players can enter Central City at any given moment.
- Due to the reality-altering effects of Crisis on Infinite Earths, Central City gained a twin city named Keystone City. Originally, Keystone City was located on the parallel Earth known as Earth-Two, in approximately the same space where Central City was located in Earth-One. Following the Crisis, both cities appeared alongside each other.
- As the "City always on the run", Central City is a city of people glued to their phones and their coffee cups. Coffee is like the blood of the city, with one coffee brand in particular; Jitters Coffee, prevalent in cross city marketing.
- In the 25th Century, Central City became known as the Central Cityplex.
- The Combine Arena, the home stadium of the Keystone City Combines hockey team, is two blocks east of the Flash Museum, beyond the map's edge. Linda Park and Captain Cold are huge fans of the hockey team.